29 January, 2006

This 'n That

Now that I'm almost completely caught up on grading for my Spanish 1 class, and have gotten my co-op class materials re-organized (and better organized :-) in both Spanish 1 and junior high Spanish for the new term, I am truly enjoying the ride. We had a guest speaker in our class on Friday from Chile - a sweet, 18 yo exchange student. She was very kind and helpful with the students, even though she speaks very little English. It is a good experience for us all to feel the awkwardness, yet strive to meet the challenge of conversing with someone else from another country in their own language!

My clever Andrewcles (11 in April) made a quesadilla and sopapilla for me in his cooking class on Friday. It happened during third period, which is my grading period. I am just up the stairs from the kitchen, so of course, I smelled the aromas of onions and peppers, then of sopapillas, wafting up the stairs into the common area, where I grade my students' lesson for the week. The outcome of this experience is that he now asks to help me in the kitchen at home. Since he is a kinesthetic learner, this has been good for him.

Audobon, our 12 yo son, is also getting a lot from his classes. He doesn't have any PE this time around, which is his only regret. He enjoyed archery last term. He has a couple of more academic classes this time around: a study skills class and a Lord of The Rings (book club-type) class.

Oldest son, AnselAdams, did not join in the co-op with us this year (because his study schedule is already quite involved and full, academically speaking). He did want to come visit the classes last Friday, and meet some of the high schoolers, friends of our daughter. After class, we took some of these friends to Starbucks, where we all sat outside and listened to the boys jam on their guitars. Dd even played a little bit (she tends not to play if she feels "pressured" to perform). Even though it was rainy and chilly, we enjoyed the time to just relax and visit. What *awesome* kids these are that our own kiddos are getting to know. They are commited to God, lead worship at their church (as our oldest two teens do, as well) and seem very solid. This is a neat new season for us as a family. I am very thankful for this blessing in our lives. Driving around a little more, as taxi driver mom, is getting easier. I am growing with it :-D. Around here, we are literally 20-40 minutes from nearly everything and everywhere that's anywhere ;-). We do finally have a grocery store and gas station closer to us, built in the last couple of years. That helps!

Ansel and DD are both going to accompany me and help me lead worship at a homeschool moms' conference coming up in a couple of weeks. Sadly, our church home also wanted my daughter and I to help lead worship for their ladies' conference on the same day. I'd love to do both! But the hs ladies asked me first.


I hope, dear readers, that you have a lovely week, and thank the Lord for your blessings. Take time to smell AND ENJOY the coffee! Makes me think of the verse, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; how blessed is the man (woman) who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:8

Javamom, who is off to type up a Spanish exercise to e-mail to my "kiddos" in class



No comments: