18 February, 2006

Costumes and Worship Leading

What do you do when you're on break? Last semester, I whitewashed three and a half sets of bookshelves, complete with door-front kits. This time, I planned two worship sets to lead at a homeschool moms conference and put together an authentic (mostly!) Pre-Civil War "gentleman's" costume for our son. He is at the Ball now, dressed as Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain.

I was basting the lining of the vest down during the conference, in between worship sets. I was stitching ends under as dear son drove us the 30 minutes to get to the Ball. I bled onto the thread, as I sewed stablizing stitches in the side seams to hold the back buckle/tie of the vest. Why didn't I bring a thimble?

The business and excitement of this week cannot be expressed here. Can I reiterate to you all how much mothers juggle??? But you already know that. Hubby was helping his sister move, and the younger kiddos had more freedom to run and play, shooting crossbows and dart guns at each other. All the while, I cut out patterns, sewed, typed, and Dear Daughter planned a new design for her room. She bought apple green and chocolate brown paint (which looks great, actually) and is now almost finished with her redecorating scheme.

Motherhood *is* a difficult job, but the rewards....ah! The rewards are priceless. I wouldn't trade it!

I hope to have pictures from my "sources" at the Ball. I do have pictures of sewing the cool vest, partially by hand. I've got to find the transfer cable for the camera first.

The mom's conference went well, in spite of below freezing temps and threats of sleet and ice. I am thankful for my older kiddos, for their help accompanying and singing with me for the worship time. It really did go well, thanks be to God. We were not nervous, and the songs went off almost completely without a hitch (only a few minor glitches). We did a mixed worship set of modern and some hymns done a capella. The second set was more upbeat and modern. I enjoy the shaker that I have, which helps keep time, and is adds a nice touch of percussion. It is just enough...mellow, yet not overdone.

I am exhausted. It's a good exhausted, though. I will be able to sleep for 12 hours, straight. I don't wish to have another crazy week like we've had...like I've had...for at least another year or more. I do know that my son is very appreciative for the costume and effort on his behalf. That makes it worth it. Even more than that, though, is the sharing of talents and working together as a family to do something for others and most importantly, for the Glory of God.

In spite of the interesting practice times we had, I just have to say again that I am blessed with precious children. They are just so close to being grownups themselves, I am glad for these times of making memories together. Now I just want to sleep, sip some good coffee, read a good book, and snuggle with my Honey.

Where is that ice storm, anyway? I would love a good excuse to stay home for a day or two!

No comments: