06 April, 2006

Bookish Quiz

Been tagged again. This time by Tootlestime

1. How many hours a day do you spend reading? About 30 minutes to an hour, usually...sometimes more depending on the day. Wednesdays, probably none at all.

2. How fast do you read? I am a pretty slow reader, prone to distraction, especially if trying to read in the car. I read much better before bed at night, when all the people are quiet :-).

3. What is your favorite book? It's hard to choose just one, so I'll choose the one I've read the most...Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

4. Who is your favorite author? Fiction: I really enjoy Mark Twain. He makes me laugh out loud. Female author: Louisa May Alcott

5. What is your favorite action/adventure novel? Ivanhoe, and currently enjoying The Scottish Chiefs with my boys

6. What is your favorite mystery novel? Books by Victoria Holt. I never read them in high school, as so many people I know, but as a young mother.

7. What is your favorite romance novel? Like Tootlepip from Tootlestime, I choose Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen; Sense and Sensibility comes in a close second.

8. What is your favorite character novel? Bleak House by Charles Dickens

9. What is your favorite fantasy/sci-fi novel? The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien.

10. What is your favorite history book? I like Will Durant's history books and those by Paul Johnson.


11. What is your favorite biography? Louisa May Alcott by Martha Saxton;
autobiography: The Journals of Louisa May Alcott

12. What is your favorite other non-fiction book? Nonfiction/philosophy: Edith Schaeffer's Hidden Art of Homemaking.

13. What is your favorite play? Much Ado About Nothing or The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare. The Tempest is fun to watch.

14. What is your favorite of the genres mentioned in questions 5-12? Plays; I also enjoy short stories. There was no question for that :-(

15. What is your favorite type of character? One who is guided by integrity and can exhibit warmth, compassion, and even a bit of humor.

16. If you could host a party with 7 literary characters, who would they be and why? Aslan; Jo March, because of her passion for her sisters, her writing, her steady attitude and honesty; Elinor Dashwood, because of her shrewd manners and compassion; Merry or Pippin, because they hung out with Kings and grew strong, brave, and even taller; Robin Hood, who stood up for the little people; Kino or Juana (from The Pearl) who wanted to better their people by being able to provide a chance at education for their son, who could be an advocate for their people...and to share the lessons they learned the hard way; Ethan Frome, because he, just like the others (and all of us), needs the hope and salvation that Aslan can give!

17. Do you like film adaptations of books? If so, which is your favorite? Which is your least?Sometimes, yes! Masterpiece Theatre does a masterful job of it. I love their recent version of Bleak House. I like most things about A&E's Pride and Prejudice.

Least favorite: Disney versions of books are pathetic.

18. Who is your literary role model? Elinor Dashwood. She was a woman of rich, steady character, who could "govern her emotions," be trusted as a friend, and put others before herself. Her honorable character is an encouragement to me (she honored others and their commitments), but I am happy that she was given a chance at a deeper relationship with Edward Ferrars.

19. Which literary house would you like most to live in?
Emerson house in Concord or perhaps Plumfield. I love New England, and would dislike living "across the pond" and so far from family, even if it was in a huge manor house or estate!

20. Which literary couple would you like most for parents? Sam-wise and Rosie ;-) or Jo and Professor Bhaer

21. Pick 3 literary characters you would like to have as siblings. Aragorn, Elizabeth Bennet, Margaret Dashwood

22. Who is your favorite literary villain? Favorite as in most wellwritten? Brian de Bois-Guilbert

23. Name a character that most people dislike, but that you do not. Why do you like them?
Brian de Bois-Guilbert- He really loved Rebecca, and he died (with honor) to spare her life.

24. Which minor character deserves a book all to themselves, in your opinion?
Not sure. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

25. Which character do you identify most with in literature? Amy March (baby of the family, for one; artistic; love travelling in Europe; and I would have asked Laurie the same questions she asked him about his feelings for Jo. I would like to think that I would not, however, burn Jo's manuscript in a fit of anger, but who knows? If I knew my mother wouldn't spank me, maybe I would *smirk*!)

26. If you could go into a novel, which one would it be and why? A Jane Austen or an Antebellum novel. The ballroom dancing would be oh so much fun!

27. Do you prefer hardback or paperback? Paperback for lending or borrowing, but hardback for keeps on shelves.

28. Do you like dustcovers? Absolutely. Protective boxes, or slip-cases, as well.

29. Do you like introductions, forwards, afterwards, and appendices? Most definitely!

30. Do you like reading literary criticism? Often, yes!

31. Do you like new or used books? What about ex-library? It depends on the book. I like beautiful, old bindings, because they are pleasant to see and to hold, whether they are being read, or are just resting on tableside or shelves.

32. Are you likely to buy new books without having read them, or would you buy a used copy (or check it out from the library) to see if it is good or not? It depends on the author. If it is an author whose work I enjoy, then I will buy it new and have it autographed, if the opportunity arises. That is pretty rare, though. Otherwise, it is used books for me! Dh's and my favorite date is going to the used bookstore together.

33. Name 3 - 7 books that you rarely see on people's favorite book lists, that are high on your own. I can name authors:
Garrison Keillor
Alexander McCall Smith
and
Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain



34. Which is your least favorite book of those that are considered "classics"? So far, and I have plenty of classics which I have not read, yet, my first choice is:A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. The characters are utterly self-centered.

35. Do you like books read aloud, or do you prefer silent reading? Well, this depends. Funny books and short stories are best read aloud. Sketches are best read aloud. I also think of Garrison Keillor stories, or wonderful poetry. This is another favorite pastime for dh and me.

36. When you read, do you see things in your mind like a movie, or just in vague pictures? Yes, like a movie, or a play.

37. Do you like to read in silence, or with backround noise/music? It depends on the book or series. I've only read a few series books, and enjoyed listening to music from the time period in which the book was set. For example, Russian music (Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky for a series set in pre-revolutionary Russia).

38. Can you read in the car without getting carsick? Yes

39. Do you go to booksales? Yes, but not each one that comes up.

40. Name one literary quirk of yours.
I have a few...I absolutely will *not* fold page corners down as a bookmark. I will not stick book labels in the front end papers, either! I love dust jackets. I don't mind old books, because I love to fix them. Browned, dried pages (signs of bad paper) are unable to be repaired, though...so I avoid books in this condition.

Bonus question: Name one book you plan to read again soon. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

2 comments:

Sharon L. Holland said...

What a lovely quiz! I'll have to try it.

Mama Squirrel said...

Oh yes, the evil Brian! We really enjoyed him--nasty all the way.