15 April, 2010

Gardening around the yard

It was the perfect day to do some yard and garden work today. A lot of weeds and wildflowers were invading the veggie patches, so today was my first day to get to them. They needed thinning out anyway, after planting them the weekend after our daugther's wedding.


I think they are looking great, now!





bush beans



bush beans



Peas!



Onion being let go to seed






very cool moth


Roses! These smell fantastic. I can even smell them through the bedroom window when the wind is right.



I also re-potted some large ferns that we used in the wedding. They had become root-bound in their containers, and I just happened to have larger pots all ready for them on the front porch.


The the tulips are those I grew and babied for the wedding. There was a yellow one in each pot, as well, but they finished their blooming cycle just after the wedding, when the wind blew our last snow in! They are all done this season, but you can get a glimpse of one of the beautiful ferns, just to the left.
Tell me about your gardens this year, my friends!
Happy Spring Gardening!
Javamom










3 comments:

Elicia said...

we planted late this year, but are excited for things to come up. swiss chard, spinach, carrots, peas and beans, radishes and beets, herbs from last year (rosemary, lavender, parsley) and dill, and soon to come, tomatoes and basil.

Javamom said...

Sounds yummy!! We needed to save big money after the wedding, so we planted seeds that we already had. The carrots and lettuce we planted came up, then quickly disappeared.

I used the planter's timetable in the Farmer's Almanac, and noticed that we were late for the lettuce and carrots. Maybe that was part of the problem. Or maybe a rodent feasted on them...one small enough to fit through the fencing, haha!

We have peas, beans, onions (as in the photos!) spearmint, rosemary (years old and very beautiful), lemon balm. My thyme did not survive the winter and my basil seeds didn't work!

This weekend, we'll buy a few pepper and tomato plants, basil to add to the garden, and probably a couple of crookneck and zucchini squash.

Elicia said...

ah, that sounds very nice. :)