24 April, 2012

Missing My 'Regulars'

Since the Great Backyard Bird Count, Spring migration has begun and some of my regulars with it :-(.

The good thing is that I am not partially obsessed by photographing birds everyday. I also don't need to buy as many bags of seed either. Some of the regulars are just nesting, I am guessing. But the American Goldfinches are among those that have moved on for now.

Our Cedar Waxwings have stayed around! This has been quite the year for them in our yard. They love hanging out in the large trees that we have.

I've observed the feather changes in our sparrows and house finches over the past month. Some of them look so funny.

My current desire is to photograph a scissor-tailed flycatcher. This is not easy to do, as they don't come into the yard much, since they just snatch at bugs in the air. I have seen them about a mile from the house, but it is more rare for them to land on our own yard/power lines. I've seen that happen only once this year, and was not quick enough to grab my camera.


                                                           
                                   Two Cedar Waxwings chasing each other back to the tree


I did spot a new bird probably migrating, just passing through, and happened to have my camera in my hand. I was spying on the Cedar Waxwings at the time. After some digging around, I finally identified it! It is a ~




 Summer Tanager



Hey what are you lookin' at down there?


What an amazingly pretty bird. My two favorite colors, as well. I have never, ever seen (noticed) one before this. I think they are rare for our part of the country.


 
Seen any new bird species in your own yard just passing through this spring?


Javamom


No comments: