02 October, 2009

National Parks

Some of you are probably getting tired of hearing me plug this program, which has been running all week long on PBS. The series, by Ken Burns, is called "The Naitonal Parks: America's Best Idea."

Some of you know that we are crunchy conservative libertarians (with a couple of Democrats in the immediate family, as well) so it comes as no surprise to you. Personally, I am frustrated by almost all politicians and lobbyists, but that is another post for another time. You know that we love National and State Parks and have extolled their cost-effective and natural, restorative benefits to soul and spirit.
I don't intend to sound mystical. I am a Christ follower, and a preacher's kid. I know the difference between Christianity and Paganism, and a debate on those topics are not my purpose for posting. :-)

I have found in this series an impressive balance between things that are for "the greater good" of society vs. destroying our resources without some responsible efforts and replacing resources that are often and greedily stripped away. This series has presented and showcased both naturalists and rich, capitalist folks and presidents who all worked together to create and protect the wonders in our own nation.

We may not have cathedrals built by human hands, but we have been given some mighty and spectacular sights to oversee and to be good stewards. Some of them look like Cathedrals, some are far larger than European cathedrals, but were created by God himself. I've seen quite a few of those Cathedrals; climbed their narrow, spiraling staircases, being in awe of their beauty. Still, they really cannot compare with naturally carved and created wonders with which we were blessed. A lot of Europeans come to tour our National Parks, and are very impressed by what we have here. Our country may be young as we exist today, but these wonders have been in this land for thousands and thousands of years.

To me, they are but a glimpse of what Heaven may be like; a glimpse of Heaven on Earth while the Lord tarries to take us to His final home for us.

These can be viewed for free online at PBS.com until October 9th, and it is a collection of the best cinematography I have seen in one series. Ken Burns has hit another one out of the ballpark, in my opinion. I also recommend his "Lewis and Clark" series. Extremely beautiful to watch, to listen to (for the music is so well-chosen). His Mark Twain series is also one of my favorites.

I hope you take some time to enjoy the show!

Until later,

Javamom

No comments: