01 October, 2010

October! (post #876!)

For my 876th post to this blog, I will share a quote I which I was just reminded of by a friend today.

"There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October."

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

To which I would add the following:

Since Hawthorne, born in Salem, MA, lived in New England most of his life and Europe for a few years*, I would change the month reference from October to November. For citizens who live in the south central U.S., it doesn't get as cool, nor do we have the Autumnal, red-golden-hued trees and crisper temeratures until November/December. However, the sentiment remains the same, which is one reason I share it on this first day of October, 2010. We definitely feel the shifting of the season and the tilting of the earth away from the sun.

I still love the quote, and Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my favorite authors. I am looking forward to teaching about him in another month or so!

Javamom

*p.s. Many people don't realize that Nathaniel Hawthorne and his family lived in England for several years, where he served as Amercian Consul for President Pierce, from 1853-1857. They moved to Italy briefly, where they spent time in Rome and Florence, primarily. Then it was back to England where he wrote The Marble Faun in 1860. After that, the family moved back to Concord, MA, where they purchased their own home for the first time, from Bronson Alcott. The Alcotts called this home "Hillside" but Hawthorne renamed it "The Wayside."

The Wayside, not to be confused with Boston's "Wayside Inn." They are two different places.

Hawthorne had the small inspiration room added as a third floor after they purchased the home. It was where he loved to write, and spent many hours of his last four years of life.

No comments: