07 October, 2010

Yummy Banana Bread



This recipe is slightly altered from our well-loved copy of Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook.

(for Ann in Faith :-)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees


3 very ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
juice of one lemon
1/2 c. oil or butter (softened)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ

optional:

1/2 c. dates (I did not add these)
1/2 c. toasted nuts (I used walnuts)


Mash bananas and mix them with lemon juice until smooth. Cream butter or oil and sugar together and add the banana mix, stirring well.
Sift together salt, flour, baking soda, baking powder. Mix in wheat germ. Add to the banana mixture and stir in dates and or nuts, if desired.

The dough will be very stiff, unless you use white flour instead of wheat.
(We were out of wheat when I made this batch, so I added about 1/4 extra wheat germ, and it was only sticky, not stiff).

Turn it into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes. (or into muffin tins for muffins, baking only 30 minutes)

Fall baking has begun! What are some of your favorites at this time of year? I imagine lots of pumpkin-spice type breads and recipes. I will be making some of those myself, next time.


Javamom

No comments: