09 July, 2008

Catching up




As it has been for most of us, the summer has been filled with family, friends, and visitors for birthdays, Independence Day, and bookmaking "mini-camps." Our oldest son had serious car trouble on the way back to Omaha on the fourth, so he had to turn around and come right back home. This meant that he was able to spend traditional "Family Fourth" with us, along with another good friend of his. They helped our youngest son and their cousin shoot off fireworks in the front yard while Sparsebeard and my brother, "Boat Captain" shot off the big explosions in the backyard for all to see. A lot of families in our neighborhood had good fireworks displays this year! It was one of the best ever.


Before J came to visit for ten days from Omaha, I had my 44th birthday. Here are most of the things I spent birthday money on at a couple of thrift shops that two girlfriends and I visited together on a day just for us. First we had lunch together at one girlfriend's home, and sipped blueberry lemonade. Then it was off to a quilt shop and some antique and thrift stores.

I found a heavy duty paper and board cutter for $8, watering can (2-3 gallons!) for $18, a paella pan for $8 (paella is pretty much Spain's version of jambalaya), old Pyrex small refrigerator leftover containers, 4.50 each (I actually bought three), old enamelware storage container (I collect these) $6, two ceramic trivets with herbs on them for $1.99 each.

The blue, Mediterranean "mosaic" mug is from Starbucks (dd's discount applied) and the poppy fine bone china tea mug is from a blueberry picking farm we went to with friends on my birthday. My dear friend bought it for me. It came with a tea strainer and steeping lid. I also bought Lemon Balm Tea that day to put in my new teacup.

About a week later, we found lemon balm herb pots at Home Depot and bought five to put in our garden. This herb is very good for congestion and swelling, but also has a nice, relaxing effect. It is perfect for evening sipping. I've also steeped some of our dried mint leaves with it, and they go well together.



We also bought these flowers to decorate our newly cleaned deck and dining area:

zinnias, balloon flower, I don't know -orange vine, balloon flower, zinnias


Now I must get going on quite a few summer book restoration jobs. I'll also be speaking at a local conference and need to tweak my notes and handouts for that, and load up my "show and tell" basket to display.

Some of you have been to "singing camps" and summer camps and back, gotten new jobs, had new grandbabies, gone to weddings or are planning weddings.
What else have you all been up to?

Happiest of summers to you,

Javamom







1 comment:

The Mom said...

Happy Birthday and I am glad you had a great fourth. Hope to see ya soon, are you still going to do ECC?