31 January, 2012

Woodpeckers!

I promised to share a fun fact about Woodpeckers as soon as I got the chance to do so. Some of you may already know this. Woodpeckers like to tuck food away to save for later. I vaguely remember hearing about this once, but had not thought about it in a long time. That is, I had forgotten the random information until I saw it happening right in front of my camera lens!



This is a female red-bellied woodpecker. Females have grey on top of their heads, whereas their spouses have a completely red head.







Photos by Javamom, all Rights Reserved

She takes another seed to hide in a completely different tree on our property.



Do you feed and observe woodpeckers in your own yards? They like bugs, yes, but they will also enjoy black sunflower seeds and suet cakes.

Enjoy!

Javamom


No comments: