01 July, 2005

Backcountry Adventure

Our 12-year-old child #3 (whom I call Audubon, because he loves the outdoors and animals) and I are going on a backcountry adventure in about nine days with his Jr. High church group. I am one of two female chaperones for the girls, and I'm really looking forward to this trip! We are going to the mountains in Tennessee.

This is one of the reasons that I am walking, working out and stretching again. The family and I have been camping since my hand surgeries last year, but I haven't been rappelling, climbing, caving, whitewater rafting and backpacking/hiking hard-core for a few years. In fact, on the last school trip (with hubby) that I chaperoned, I hurt my knee coming down the mountain, and had to rig a knee brace out of tube socks for half of the trip. That was pretty funny, but it worked! The last two trips we went on were not difficult camping conditions at all. Well, with the exception of a lot of rain.

More about our trip in future posts!


" May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. "

~Edward Abbey

No comments: