01 July, 2005

On Books and blog tags

A recent blog tag that has gone around...


1. How many books do you own?

about 5000, maybe more, now...and they're multiplying. Some are stored up at hubby's school.



2. What was the last book you bought?

I've bought two books this week:

The Tribune Primer by Eugene Field, published 1900 - a lady in my book restoration class is restoring her mother's copy of this hilarious, satirical book of short quips with line drawings. My copy cost $6


BOOKBINDING & CONSERVATION BY HAND, A WORKING GUIDE by Laura S. Young used and pretty pricey...



3. What was the last book you read?

Book 2 in The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith, Tears of The Giraffe.

Currently in the middle of Charlotte Mason's Volume 6...Towards a Philosphy of Education.



4. What are some books that have meant a lot to you?

I'll not mention the standard, typical choices of C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity (okay, maybe just that one, lol), Chesterton or Schaeffer...yeah, these are some of my all-time favorite authors. For obvious reasons, though, books that have meant the most to me are:

My great grandmother's Bible from 1851 and Old books and notebooks of notes that were my Grandfather's. My Dad's high school scrap book has always been a favorite of mine since childhood as well. I am slowly restoring and conserving all 80+ pages of it.


Someone else added:


5. Changed my outlook on the world:

Shared on my favorite's list on my profile: How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig by Susan Schaeffer (Macauley), and L'Abri Fellowship by Edith Schaeffer

I almost went to L'Abri in '84 when I spent my second summer in Germany (for mission work) and went to Switzerland. One thing that discouraged me from pursuing that dream that summer was the fact that Dr. Schaeffer was already very ill by then. I still made a "L'Abri journey" anyway. It's one of the reasons we homeschool, and why we choose to live a life at a different pace than most people.


6. Embarassed to have on the list:


Elsie Dinsmore series - Let's not go there ;-) my dear CM friends who cannot abide the sappy writing of this series, [snicker, snicker] They are beautiful vintage copies, at least... and I will say that~
1. they look sharp arranged atop my computer armoire and
2. I am practicing a few restoration techniques (disbinding, mending most of the signatures, and preparing them for re-sewing and re-casing) on the worst volume. So, there. [very big grin]

No comments: