07 February, 2008

Simple Novels in Spanish


From the folks at TPR world:

Mini-novels for year I Spanish, French, or German students! These are in dialogue and narrative format, and include @300 level I vocab words in a story format. There are eight mini-novels in the series.

I would like to take a brief break from the text book in my Spanish I classes and just read this little novel together. With our limited twenty-week time frame in co-op, I am not sure if that would work, but I could assign this with my home class.

I could also have the kids to read over the summer if they hope to take Spanish II this fall. This would help keep their skills fresh. There are a few web pages dedicated to helping with lessons and vocab for some of these novels! I'll share a few that go along with the first mini-novel.

This first book is about a 15 yo girl, Ana, who is from a poor family. She has friends who are rich (by the world's standards) and she finds herself jealous of them. Ana's Spanish teacher tells her about a program the school has to help a student from their school to go to Mexico to live for the summer, so she asks her father if she can go. Since the school provides for it, her family wouldn't have to pay the expenses, so her father says she can go. She lives with a family in a small city who happen to be poorer than her family, so her view of life changes radically. When she returns home to California, she is able to see everything in a different light.

The second book is about a girl, Patricia, who comes to California as an exchange student from Guatemala.

Since vocabulary is presented in context of a story, level I students will be pleasantly surprised by how much they already know, but also how much they are able to pick up and understand the target language in context.

The first activity web site is here and is in Spanish. If I hear (from my Spanish teachers' list) of any in other languages, I will post them here. There are worksheets here, and they are not necessarily in line with Charlotte Mason principles. For that, you would want to present the unknown vocabulary word definitions ahead of time, and ask leading questions in Spanish, so that the students will answer (in simple narrations) in the target language. For example I might begin with, "Dime sobre los padres de Ana. ¿Son simpáticos o estrictos?"

My next post will have some stories/books written by native speakers that are popular with kids in the Spanish speaking world (say primary to middle school age).


Enjoy!

Señora Javamom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude!
Mom!
I miss you a lot.
I just wanted to drop in here and leave you a quick and fond hullo.
I love you.

Anonymous said...

I have always felt like I have missed out by not being able to speak/read another language.

These little books look like fun. Enjoy!