29 June, 2005

Getting Settled


My family is happy that I'm home, and my kitty is too! He promptly found a napping spot on my luggage. I keep trying to load that picture, but my three photo-hosting options are not working! Some gremlin has messed up my settings or passwords, or some other strange thing. I cannot get it figured out and I really am not interested in wasting a lot more time online.

When I wanted to check my e-mail while at my folks' house in Oklahoma, I had to go over to Dad's prison ministry office, behind my parents' home. On top of that, they live in a tiny town with old phone lines...thus pretty bad internet connections, when one can get online. This really allowed me to be more focused on family and less distracted by technology, and made me reconsider how easy it is to be distracted by the computer when I am here in my own home.

Anyway, I am restless. It's not easy for me to switch gears since returning home, for some reason. Laundry is caught up, but I haven't wanted to cook. It is so hot and dry here that nothing sounds good, except watermelon and oriental cabbage salad! I needed to go to the grocery store, so I finally got that accomplished today. I still need to vacuum the carpet. I'd rather repair and restore an old, sentimental domino box for a friend; it would be much more fun.

I've been doing light reading for the most part, working my way through Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith. It is the second book in the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series. It really is just what the doctor ordered! I am also still reading Charlotte Mason's Volume 6 again.

I rediscovered an old favorite CD while on the road the last two weeks. It is Carolyn Arends' album from the 90's with "Seize The Day" on it. It is an awesome, folksy, acoustic project. I love it, love it, love it. I also listened to Michael W. Smith's Instrumental project, "Freedom," which is another all-time favorite from my collection.

Smith's versatility, his orchestrations and arrangements range from simple and elegant to layered and intricate. He is such a talented artist and musician, which is why I think he has had such staying power for so long. Think about it, he was one of the first popular artists in the contemporary Christian music market (I first heard him in the early 80's), and has continued to produce projects and work with/promote other artists on a consistent basis, in spite of my brother or nephew's opinion that he cannot sing. I beg to differ. His voice is nice and different, which is one of the things I really like about it. I get tired of formulaic arrangements and voices. I think that the proof of his talents has been borne out by the market over time. So there. :-P That's your baby sis' opinion, whether you like it or not, and you, dear brother are free to disagree with me!! It won't hurt my feelings one bit. ;)

Cheers!!

No comments: