19 September, 2005

Balancing Home Schooling, Co-ops, and House Cleaning

The schoolyear is well underway for my two high schoolers, one junior higher, and one fifth grader. We are working on making the best use of our time and of our physical space. We're waiting for a set of bookshelves to arrive, in order to get our home library back under control, and reclaim some much-needed floor space in the family room and master bedroom.

For some motivational impetus, I've looked back at the Fly lady website to get me started. With our house in need of serious fall decluttering, and our scheduling not easing up much in the future, the FlyLady motivation is very timely. Time has been the biggest factor in trying to meet our goals. Even writing this down takes precious time. There are almost daily trips, classes or social events of which the kids are a part...various youth group classes, activities and music (worship) practice. So much driving! Argh!

My book restoration classes end this Thursday, but I have two classes this week. My favorite teacher is moving, and the guild needs to find another conservator to take over. Until they do that will ease up my time commitments just a bit, for a short season.

Besides the amlesideonline schedule for our kiddos (history, music, art history, Shakespeare, poetry), I am teaching three academic classes that include other families along with our children. It is the most I've ever fit into a schoolyear, but it is a challenge that I am enjoying so far. The Spanish classes are my favorite! As long as everyone in our home works cooperatively, and I am able to stay on top of lesson planning and preparations, it should remain enjoyable.

Hubby and I have to keep up with grading all the kids' daily work, quizzes and tests before we go to co-op classes on Friday. This is for Biology, Algebra, and Spanish classes. Worldviews/American Lit. is more essay and discussion based.

American Lit/Worldviews class meets on Tuesdays. While I enjoy the challenge and the information, I continue to try to find activities that will keep it interesting, to balance where it is dry and difficult to understand. The ideas and comparisons can sometimes be difficult to communicate. Colorful charts are helpful, but the students eventually have to buckle down and write essays on the material each week! I get to keep up with grading :-).

It is only Monday, and I am off and running!



No comments: