20 December, 2005

Christmas "Letters"

Forgive my shallow post. That's all I seem to have time for right now. How do you feel about Christmas letters? Do you write one every year? Do you enjoy getting the family updates from others? Some people just do not like them...they say they seem braggish. Some send straightforward, totally honest and even depressing updates.

I've sent out family update/Christmas letters once. Then another year, I typed one up and never sent it out with the Christmas cards or the New Year's cards. Maybe I'm just not a very good friend or daughter/sister. (lol)

Anyone have some good advice for me regarding the sharing of news and updates (both the good and the not-so-good reality moments; not too dark, and not too "braggy" of course)?

I think it's one of the things that brings me down about this time of year. It's that ole' Ghost of Christmas Expectations...and trying to stay balanced by not seeing only through rose-colored glasses.

Hey, for some this time of year is fun because of food, presents, and football playoffs, you know...the things that count. *says with a smirk*

Anybody?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I struggle with this, too. Here it is 5 days until Christmas and my cards are sitting here waiting for me to decide what to do. Write a letter? Add a picture? The problem with the picture is that I can't manage to get us all together in one place with something on other than pajamas. (We are all a little too old for sending out a pajama picture.)

The pressure! :)

Merry Christmas, Kim!

Meredith said...

It's hard to compose a Christmas letter that doesn't sound smug.
I handwrite a few lines on each card, tailored to the recipient. This year I was so glad to be pregnant so I finally had some news about me to add to our cards. Pitiful, huh? I'm proud of the work I do at home but most of it isn't Christmas card material.

Carol Hepburn said...

Oh, I love to get Christmas letters but deplore writing them. Our life is B-O-R-I-N-G! I write a little bit and it sounds like we are bragging, so I scrap it. Then if I write something generic, it sounds as if we don't do anything. I finally gave up and sent out a Christmas photo of the three of us along with a brief note wishing Christmas Blessings.