07 December, 2005

Walden

Dear Daughter and I have just begun reading Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. Our copies are one hardback and one softcover, both "Library of America" editions. The softcover has a thorough introduction by Edward Hoagland, whereas the hardcover, boxed edition (from Hubster~King Kong's collection) does not. But, it contains Cape Cod and Maine Woods in their entirety. For a helpful website with text of Walden and parallel analysis of one Thoreauvian's narration notes, click here. Scroll to the bottom of that page for more links to continue through the text.

Walden Pond is certainly beautiful. We've spent warm, sunny afternoons napping there, or in another favorite nature preserve, Rock Meadow, just down the street from where we lived in Belmont. I don't know if I could live (read: survive) for two years and two months (especially alone) in a cabin in the woods during a blustry and freezing New England winter. I have romantic notions, but none as deluded or idealistic as the Transcendentalists! At least, I hope not ;-).

All this reading and study of the New England Romanticism movement convinces me more each week that it is time (yes, I've said it here before) to take our children back to our stomping grounds of early marraige for a long visit.

Off to read more, and do some comparative study of Transcendental themes/philosphy by the reading of Emerson's Nature essay...it's been far too long since I've read it before.

As I mentioned in a previous post, go read Transcendental Wild Oats, by Louisa May Alcott, for a hilarious, satirical peek into the experiences of a Utopian experiment during the heyday of the New England Transcendentalists.

Javamom

No comments: