13 December, 2005

Herman Melville

In my American Lit. class this week and next~

The students and I are reading: Herman Melville, and his last work: Billy Bud (an annotated version!). Here is another good link on Melville, with critical essays.

Currently watching: Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab. This work was not appreciated by his readers (predominantly in Britain) in his lifetime; not for the first thirty years after it was written, for it was such a departure from his first successful works, Typee and Omoo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I read your interesting weblog. I myself am reading Billy Budd at this moment. Though I have an english version, I read the work in dutch, because Melville's language in this work is too difficult.
I hope I can read the results of your class on this subject, because BB is one of my favorite books.

Greetings from Belgium

john