05 December, 2005

December Doldrums

I was feeling the first blast of December Doldrums yesterday, due in part to my frustration over having to be in a store (Wal-Mart this time) during the crazy time of frenzied shopping weekend for many people. Therefore, I was inundated by some of the more negative sides to this time of year...those things which I try to avoid the whole season through, if possible.

The day began cold, gray, and blustry outside (sans much-needed rain, mind you) and I'd overslept. Since some of the family had to arrive at church early, I would not be ready in time, so I went to second service. I got to sit with a friend and her hubby, who is one of our elders. That was a nice treat, as they've had to travel quite a bit lately, and it was good to see them. At the same time, though, some families have recently stopped going to our church, and therefore it is a little sad not to see them there anymore.

I've shared a bit of background to set up this lovely poem hubby wrote and sent to me today.

Oh Thou Dearest Liebfrau,

When life doth blast thee with cold, dry winds,

And all of your coffee beans worm-eaten,
Then mayest thou remember the love of thy youth,
Who wilt always fetch thee new beans,
For my heart like the sun comes up new in the morning,
And like steam always rises and rises,
For only externals sag down, down, down
In Adam's (gravity's) curse;
In you, sweet love, sweet love, sweet love,
The sun rises and sets in my heart with your smile,
And, pray, let not this cheese distract you from me.

Love,

The Hubs

He also sent an Emily Jane Bronte quote:

"No coward soul is mine, no trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere: I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal, arming me from Fear."

I think I am a coward when it comes to shopping at Christmas time...even for simple things such as bread or TP! Thank the Lord, I did find it a relief to qualify for the "express" checkout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I like your husband and I've never even met him.

(Here's a new comment for you!)

Anonymous said...

I love the poen "the Hubs" wrote for you! How sweet!