09 October, 2005

Fall Break



This week is "Fall Break" from the three co-op-type classes that I teach. I also help in two other classes, but that only takes a little time. Even though it is fall "break," that doesn't mean I can take a break from the coursework...just a break from actual class meeting time this week. I do, however, get to finish grading all of Spanish l class's book work and then write up their progress reports. I also need to score their Unit 1 tests. I have nine students, so that will take some time. Then I want to get ahead and stay one week ahead in lesson plans and printing/game planning, etc., so that I can have better use of time.

I have to get my students' books back to them later this week so that they can begin their lesson 6 work due on October 21. We decided to meet for a party this week, since I have to get their books back to them. I'm still trying to figure out the best time and place for that to occur, since we are from various metroplex suburbs. We need to find a central point, so as not to put any one family out too much on gasoline or time on the freeways.

This fall has been so different from anything we've ever experienced in our years upon years of homeschooling, but changing something every year keeps it interesting and exciting, even! There are times that it gets frustrating, but...it's not about what I want! It's about where God wants us, how He wants to use us, what He wants us to learn, and what my children need to keep them challenged and interested. But you know what? It is keeping us accountable to get our studies accomplished. He is also using our gifts and abilities for His glory!

Junior high Spanish class is also going pretty well, but I have five students who are newbies to a foreign language, and two who have had Spanish before. The challenge to teach and provide resources near each one's level keeps me on the ball. The things I've been able to give them from my bag of "tricks" and personal library seem to be working, so far. I hope I am serving them well.

In the meantime, I appreciate having this one week to be able to breathe deeply, to refuel, and to get ahead of the programs.

One thing that will help on the home front organization is that hubby and I are whitewashing several bookshelves we ordered to match another set we already have in the living room. Once those are stained and dried, we can assemble them and get boxes and stacks of books off of the floor in our library, family room and living room and into some order on these shelves. Yes, every couple of years we have to add more shelves. I continue to cull out the old, though, because our cottage is small. When I have some time, anyway...WHEN...when. That time is rare.

Nevertheless, we are blessed beyond measure by our Lord. We are where and how he has placed us in this life, for a reason. Now I hope that we are listening and following as *He* wills, not as *I* will!

Happy Autumn Blessings, all!

No comments: