26 October, 2005

Sheryl's Funeral

Yesterday's service was positively moving. Dozens of sprays of lovely pink floral arrangements lined the front of the building, along with multitudes of pictures of Sheryl, snippets from her life's joys and adventures.

We worshipped and praised the Lord corporately, as per her request. The message was stirring and encouraging, and included the gospel message of salvation, and an invitation.

Then Sheryl's husband and daughter, both warriors in the faith, shared from their hearts about Sheryl, and encouraged us in their sharing. Read today's entry on Chris' blog and you'll see what I mean.

Our church's first worship leader and his wife sang and led the worship time, which was also Sheryl's special desire...and one which was a sweet moment for our congregation, as we've gone through many transitions in the last year-and-a-half.

It was sweet and *powerful* (to me) to see all the people who came...some that I knew a decade ago. All of them represented lives touched by Sheryl and her family, both before her sickness ever showed up, and those who came to know her during or throughout her battles with cancer. We were able to share and linger at a memorial buffet luncheon together, for as long as any of us could stay.

I'm thankful to God that Sheryl is one of those people who have added "Bits and Pieces" to my life. We did not always share exactly the same opinions on things, but she was a good communicator, and I liked hearing her thoughts and ideas. How blessed my family was by the way she took my daughter into her home on many occasions, and just loved and mothered her in such a kind way, treating her like her own daughter.

I have fond memories, like one road trip she wanted us to take with one of our elder's wives with our oldest children to a homeschooling [Deb Bell] writers' conference hours away one weekend before she got sick). We snacked on complimentary cookies from the hotel at midnight!

I'll remember sharing car rides, church, bookfairs, hs meetings, and having tea with her...most noteably less than two months ago when she had rallied back (God brought her back) from near-death to life and was able to eat a bit of food again for a time. She shared her hospital tea with me, and we laughed about many things...including her choices of food...i.e. "Bread Slurry" and such. Yuck! We had a special time that day. Just one week earlier, she was totally out of it, and shaking...gone from us in many ways.

On that same day, before I left her hospital room, she told me about a sale on bargain fleece at JoAnn's. She had asked me how the boys liked sleeping in hammocks in their room. How DID she know about the fleece sale? Why did she know? It's like she stayed as engaged as possible with life, as long as she could. Amazing. Could I do the same in her shoes? Just a day or so later, she got to go home from the hospital for a little longer, and be with her family.

She liked Warren Kimble folk art. So do I. We had the same W.K. rooster teapot for a long time, and some of the same prints. She also had the best tea set in town, as one friend put it. Ah, yes...the Royal Albert china set and tea cups. She also loved kitties...and often asked me (and other friends) if I needed another one, when one of her mommies would have another litter. I would love more, of course! If hubby didn't mind so much [grin].

She was a very good "people person" who knew how to connect with everyone in her life. She was also a servant, planning and taking care of others through the years, from being our church's first secretary to serving homeschool moms, you name it.

Even in death, she continued to encourage others. She continued to give when we'd be there trying to things do for her.

I'm going to stop there, as it makes me teary-eyed again.

May we all live lives in which we make the most of each and every day, loving our friends and family, and encouraging the body of Christ to live lives worthy of His calling...

May "strength and dignity be our clothing" and may we be "able to laugh at the time to come." May we "open our mouths with wisdom and have the teaching of kindness on our tongues." ~Proverbs 31:25-26 (English Standard Version)

...because sometimes I am not very good with these types of events. It is hard to know what to say and when...and when to just shut up and listen. Which is probably the best thing to do.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Thanks so much for posting this back then. I love reading how other people saw her.