20 October, 2005

Hurricane Wilma

I am just finishing up with mid-term grade averaging for my Freshman level Spanish l class that I teach in a homeschooling co-op. I have been thinking in Spanish for hours. As I sit here to update the blog, I am glancing over the photos of the people and places in the Yucatán that are now propped in various places around our living room. I just picked them up and brought them home yesterday from our first month-long, art gallery cultural exhibit...




I am compelled to pray for the people in the path of the Hurricane...remembering faces of the hospitable people of Izamal. They don't have much. IN fact about half of them have stick homes--Mayan huts, actually. They won't hold up in a hurricane...not their thatched roofs...or loosely tied, stick walls. Even the nice, small compound of the Korean Mission where we stayed floods so easily...just in a regular rainstorm. Before Wilma propels toward Florida, it will affect our friends and church family in The Yucatán. Pray for their safety. They are a resillient people, but this could be devastating.

Goodnight, all.

No comments: