30 November, 2005

Mark Twain

Happy Birthday to Mark Twain, born on this date in 1835. This Missouri native perplexes me. We will be studying him in January in American Lit. Is his wittiness hiding true bitterness? Or is it just cynicism? Some would say yes to bitterness. He is still funny.

What is your favorite Twain work? I enjoy Innocents Abroad, reading snippets here and there, when I get a chance, such as waiting for kids when it's my turn to drive in the Wednesday carpool. Hubby used to read it aloud to me, just for a laugh...especially the barbs about old relics in Europe, since I love to travel, people watch; I enjoy old world sites and charm.

Good Twain quotes:

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

Having three brothers, a multitude of nephews and great-nephews, and three sons of my own, I like this quote:

"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

No comments: