02 November, 2005

Romanticism: New England

All this reading about the New England Renaissance recently had me dreaming (a couple of nights ago) about our old house where we lived in Belmont, between Concord and Cambridge...near Boston, in early marriage. I dream't that my boss (now much grayer than he used to be) asked me to come back to work at his office part-time, and he also became our landlord at our old house. It was so real, I almost believed it as I awoke slowly to autumn's crisp air wafting in through our window.

The temperature outside is the same as when we first moved up there. I am more of a romantic, and remember those times fondly. I wish we could afford to live there as a family! I'd take the kids to Walden Pond all the time and take classes at Orchard (Alcott) House or visit (one of) Thoreau's Houses...

Visit this informative page: A Concord Chronology, 1820-1890, to see just a few reasons why we loved living literally just down the road from Concord. We rode our bicycles there and to Lexington often, for sight seeing, visiting the old graveyards, or for coffee or ice cream.

Ah, to dream and remember! I already warned hubby that it is time to take the kids there to visit our old haunts and meet our old bosses and neighbors...see if Andros Diner (best Greek food) is still a couple of short blocks away from our old place. I just checked...Oh my, oh *MY.* Andros Diner IS still there!


Javamom

No comments: