17 November, 2005

Next Restoration


This is for a friend for whom my daughter works as her kids' babysitter. It was an old book that S's mother and grandmother had, for which they had made a make-shift cover. I'm happy to be able to work on another vintage book, now that hs co-op is almost finished for 2005. Just one more day to go!

This lovely tome needs new boards (these are not original) and several signatures need to be mended and re-sewn. I've already removed the old, nasty tape...just after I took these pictures, in fact. It still needs more cleaning...getting the old adhesive off the spine of the text block. I'll create a new spine for it, and cover the boards in a nice, dark red bookcloth.

I have not yet figured out how to fit in handcrafts for myself into our schedule this fall, since my bookbinding teacher moved in late September.

Ah, the smell (not a musty or mildewy one, mind you) of an old book! Or...half-a-library library full of them!

Javamom

No comments: