09 November, 2005

Spanish classes

My Jr. High Spanish kids have been writing up Restaurant scenarios. I am very happy with their efforts and creativity. We have two teams. Each team has added in bits of their own humorous lines into a basic structure and scene that I prepared for them ahead of time. Team A performed their skit last week, Team B is up this Friday. When we're all finished, we will celebrate by eating Flan! My assistant and I will have ours with cafe con leche :-).

In Spanish I, my nine students are taking their Unit 2 test this week. I'll give the oral comprehension section aloud in class Friday, then take them home to grade. It's almost time for end of semester grade averaging and progress reports. I am more caught up and prepared for it, than I was at mid-semester! The curriculum is a little hard to follow sometimes, and directions are unclear. It's almost as if the program was written in Spanish, or the directions for the actividades were thought up by a native speaker, because something gets lost in the translation or phraseology in English! Once I figure out what was expected, or decide how many points to give to an unclear section, then my assistant and I can grade fairly well. Sometimes, the section directions are very unclear, so we don't count off at all. We have less than one hour to grade during our grading period on Fridays, so we have to stay focused.

Those who are wondering which program we're using for Spanish I so you can be warned: We are using Spanish is Fun by Amsco publishing.
Understand that each curriculum has its weaknesses, I've simply shared a couple of them here. There probably is no perfect curriculum, although I'd love to find the one that is close. For my Jr. High class, I bought, and am reviewing El Español Fácil-The Easy Spanish. I'll write more about it when I've had a chance to really try it out on the kids.

No comments: