16 October, 2006

Manhattan Transfer

I am an old Manhattan Transfer fan (since 1980). A couple of weeks ago, I won tickets on our local Classical radio station to go see them in Fort Worth at the beautiful Bass Hall Performing Arts Center in Sundance Square (which happened to be designed by a friend of ours, and his architectural team). We had great seats on the floor, basically in the middle...perfect for taking in those incredible, tight, jazz and swing harmonies.

Hubby got back from his freshman class trip chaperoning just in time to zip on over to the concert with me, though it was quite a change from being in the desert all week long!

I have to say that they've still (mostly) got it! I had wondered. I have not seen them live since 1981, so you never know (grin).

They sang some of the old standards: Candy, Tuxedo Junction, Java Jive :-) my favorite
and of course, Birdland...my second favorite.

When I was in High School, we performed many of their songs in our own high school vocal jazz group, in competitions and for shows, even at World's of Fun and Silver Dollar City. Those were busy/fun times! Oh, the memories...

Yes, it was nice to know that they've still got it...

Javamom, doin' the Java Jive, swing, and even a little "Old, Soft Shoe!"

No comments: