21 November, 2006

Autumn Favorites

Change is in the air, and that is a good thing. Here are some of my favorite little poems about this change of season, in the physical world, and in the spiritual.

"Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of
maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?"

~ Hal Borland


Give me the end of the year an' its fun
When most of the plannin' an' toilin' is done;
Bring all the wanderers home to the nest,
Let me sit down with the ones I love best,
Hear the old voices still ringin' with song,
See the old faces unblemished by wrong,
See the old table with all of its chairs
An' I'll put soul in my Thanksgivin' prayers.

~ Edgar A. Guest, Thanksgiving



Then, there's Louisa May Alcott's short story An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving
that I love to read. This site also has links to other Thanksgiving specialties and stories.

Enjoy!

No comments: