30 October, 2007

Literatura en español and other links

My apologies to those subscribed to my updates...I kept trying to move this to the top of my blog, but I was confusing my browser pages. Ack!!
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Literatura en español for different ages and capability levels:

Little Red Riding Hood - Caperucita Roja

Goldilocks and The Three Bears - Ricitos de Oro y Los Tres Osos. There are multiple versions out there, but I like this one for it's simplicity. The illustrations also match the story.

Last weekend I found Kipling's Just So Stories en español as well as Three poems by Edgar Allen Poe en español, including "Eldorado"


Next, I looked up free e-texts of a famous Spanish Play called La Vida es Sueño by Pedro Calderón de la Barca. For synopsis, theme, discussion, etc. go here. I remember studying lines from this in Spanish IV in preparation for state competition over 25 years ago! My events were: Poetry recitation, sight reading, and a dramatic interpretation from this play.
There is the famous soliloquy by the character Segismundo at the end which ranks up there with Hamlet's.

In English it is:
What is life? A frenzy.
What is life? An illusion,
A shadow, a fiction,
And the greatest profit is small;
For all of life is a dream,
And dreams are nothing but dreams.

This first link is the first version of the play. There is another version available here. The text is also available in inglés.

Lastly for today, I'm including a different link for hymns en español than what I've used in the past (cyberhymnal.com).


Himnarios en español / inglés. The Doxology is available at this link, as well!


Enjoy!

I am :-)

Señora Javamom

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hola Señora!

How should we handle the additional vocabulary that comes with reading these tales? As we have tried to read some of the libros en Español we got from the library, we have gotten stymied by our lack of knowledge.

Do we need to do anything like list our new words, or is it okay to just let them go by (perhaps with a simple, "oh, that means riding-hood," or whatever) for now?

Javamom said...

I think spreading them out over time is a very good idea. Mariel loved the bi-lingual book...was it the tortillas book? Let her stick with pouring over that one in her free time.

Triss definitely is handling Spanish very well, even if the masculine and femine/singular and plural verbal usage doesn't always agree. I like her verbal confidence!

I'm thinking it is probably best to just do a couple of stories at a time, like the ongoing Spanish reader story and maybe one or two others. We can add in Red Riding Hood and/or The Three Bears next term, if we need to wait. What do you think?

Vary that with the fun singing of the simple songs (like "Yo Tengo Gozo, Gozo en mi corazón"), one Bible verse copywork, with another small section of story spread out over a whole week, just 30 minutes or so for reading, writing or copying, then a separate ten minutes for song.

As with CM, The TPR folks are big on the students getting one set of vocab down (acquired and assimilated) before pushing ahead too soon to acquire more. They want a good solid repertoire with natural (not mimicked, but woven into the story, called circling, I think) repetition of vocab that slowly builds. I read on the TPRS list today that a good number of "repetitions" is about 30-50 per time (per day?). With the simpler vocab, such as familia, hermanos, y pobres, along with our review before I add the new paragraph, I'm thinking ten or twenty repeats is what we usually do.

If I think of something else, I'll post again or e-mail!