18 May, 2006

Book Shopping and Greek Food

Happy Anniversary to Hubby and me. We have made it 21 years, now, plus the year of friendship, then outright dating and engagement. We spent our day experiencing the traditional (for us) celebration with Greek food (it was pretty bad, this time!) and used book shopping. I came home with Christianity is Jewish by Edith Schaeffer, and Luther and Erasmus: Free Will and Salvation edited by E Gordon Rupp and Philip S. Watson. There was another I would have liked, about the topic of "Is Capitalism Christian?" by the Schaeffers, but it was over ten dollars. It will have to wait until I sell more used books/curriculum from our home library. Hubby purchased some sheet music and a book on collected works of the writers during the Harlem Renaissance (American Literature).

I also picked up some summer reading for our younger two boys:

The Twits, The Vicar of Nibbleswicke, and Revolting Rhymes all by Ronald Dahl
The Unofficial Autobiography of Lemony Snicket and book one of A Series of Unfortunate Events books.

UPDATE: I pre-read the Dahl books last night. I was disappointed in The Vicar of Nibbleswicke, especially. Their is some poor taste humor in it, so preview it at the library, before considering. It is a bout a dyslexic pastor, who became nervous over his new job, and some of his words come out backwards when he says them. This could have been really cute. Revolting Rhymes is a totally different take on traditional Fariy Tales. In Cinderella, she finds that the prince, disgusted by Cindy's two step-sisters, has cut off their heads after they tried on the glass slipper and made such a fuss. Cindy is horrified with him, and so marries a common man from town who sells marmelade. At least I only spent a dollar on these, each, but I wish I would have had time to check them out more thoroughly before buying them yesterday.


What are you picking up for summer reading?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. First Ladies Detective Agency, after I heard about it on your website so much.
2. Pride and Prejudice, because I realized to my horror that it is the one Austen novel I have not read. When we spoke, I think I was referring to Persuasion the whole time!
3. One book of the bible ... haven't decided which one yet but Esther or Proverbs is looking pretty good right now.

Javamom said...

Enjoy P & P, and let me know what you think. I enjoy an annotated edition, with letters from Jane Austen to and from family members, which contain more details about her books and story lines.

Esther is a good choice!! I have been thinking about reading this myself.