15 May, 2006

Smith and Carlson

I finished reading A Song From L'Abri this weekend. The copy I found (for 33 cents) is such an old one, published in 1972, that the author's name did not ring a bell to me (though it should have!). Betty Carlson wrote this story down for her friend Jane Stuart Smith, and American opera singer from the 1950's, who was trained in Italy and Germany. It is Jane's journey toward Christ, and her becoming an important part of L'Abri in Switzerland.

After just a few minutes of research online, I realized that I already had one book in our home library by both of these ladies, titled The Gift of Music: Great Composers and Their Influence. I began reading it last night. I've decided to read it through instead of just leaving it on the music reference shelf.

They also co-wrote
Great Christian Hymn Writers, and Great Women Hymn Writers, Great Christian Men Hymn Writers and Great Women Authors: Their Lives and Their Literature. But Thoughts on art, literature, and Humor by Jane Stuart Smith is the one that piques my interest, now.

No comments: