12 May, 2006

A Song From L'Abri

One of my favorite things to do is stop at thrift stores and peruse their book sections. I don't do this as often as I used to, but I was in a different part of the city yesterday meeting rides for two of our dc to go to the theme park with other friends.

The books were 33 cents each, with a couple of larger 99 cent books. So for just over five dollars, I came home with a bagful of goodies. They are all paperbacks.

Two of them are books that are on my modern American Lit. list to read. I intend to post on them after I read them.

The story that I'm most excited about is called A Song From L'Abri: The adventure that gave a distinguished singer a new song by Betty Carlson with and introduction by Edith Schaeffer. The back of the book has a photo of a lush view of one chalet nestled in the massive, breathtaking Alps. It reads: "Travel with singer Jane Stuart Smith from the theaters of Europe and the U. S. --through her truggles, fulfillments, emptiness--to a new life that began in a tiny chalet in an Alpine village. You will be captivated by the enthusiasm with which Jane attacks life--from her rise to fame as an acclaimed (opera) singer to selling eggs to buy and organ for the L'Abri Chapel. More than this, you can recognize something of your own search for a real way of living...a new song." (Amen, indeed!)

I had to begin the book right away, and am one third of the way through it. It is a peak into Jane's experiences, including daily rigorous daily lessons with her Maestro in Italy. The first chapter is titled "A Night in Venice."

The book captivated me for several reasons. First, I almost went to L'Abri in 1984 in Switzerland, but that was when Francis Schaeffer's health was going down hill, and he was in the hospital. I still went to The Alps, as a solitary and peaceful retreat, after spending a second summer in Germany with a small group working with several congregations in the country on summer missions. Second, the book is about the budding career of a singer. It sounds romantic, in many ways...but it brings back many fond, and of some difficult memories; some of choices that needed to be made in my life, one of many moments when I sought God's will and direction fervently.


This time of year always brings to mind the memories of my adventures with friends, then with my husband, then the last trip over to Europe with my only daughter. This time of year is when I was blessed to venture abroad. This is one reason that I think Spring as representing more of the changes of life, the ending of school schedules, the beginning of new adventures, and also time to plan for the next season. Moreso than New Year's, this time of year reflects renewal and of goal setting for me, not January.

Back to my retreat in Switzerland: It was a time in my life when I was a wanderer; I ambled along mountain and forested paths (physically and mentally), where the only sounds were birds singing and bells of Alpine cows clinking away in the distance, to consider whether I would stay in Germany for possibly another year or more, or should I return back to the states to finish my senior year of college and to get to know this nice college fellow who'd been sending letters to me all summer long from his youth ministry internship in Oklahoma?

I think it not a coincidence that I found this book yesterday for 33 cents. I am looking forward to where it begins to tell of her story of how she came to L'Abri.

What are some of your memories and experiences of wandering (or just wondering!) and listening for the Lord's guidance in your life? Your turning points, so to speak?

No comments: