14 May, 2006

Francis Schaeffer

Today marks the 22nd anniversary of the death and home-going of Francis Schaeffer. I mentioned in my previous post about wanting to go to L'Abri back in 1984, as I was just introduced to the works of Schaeffer in '83 in college by both my philosophy prof. and by my German prof. (also head of our Germany missions team). I was given a newsletter from L'abri by my German prof. so that I could look into going while in Europe that summer...perhaps in August, after our weeks of teaching were finished. This began my journey on the path to considering all the big worldview questions. So, studying Schaeffer's writings is the reason we home school today, and have homeschooled since our oldest son (now 17) began learning how to read! It is also the reason that we use Charlotte Mason philosophies with our family, and as we teach our own and other children.

In the fall/winter of 1983, my German professor gave me a book by Susan Schaeffer Macauley called How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig (and other ways you've been brainwashed). This provided a simple explanation of basic worldview analysis, and what L'Abri Fellowship was all about; how people from all over the world would come for rest from the weariness of the struggle to understand the meaning of life, and to help with the work on the farm, but also to come and study the Word of God with this missionary family living in Switzerland. I have given copies of this book to some of my nieces and nephews as graduation presents, but I think students as young as 12 or 13 would enjoy this as a first step into worldviews studies. I've lent it to our youth pastor to read and recommend to any of the youth that may have a need or be asking some of the tough questions.

Visiting with and helping missionaries overseas and reading the works of Schaeffer and C. S. Lewis, put within me the deep desire to ask God to provide a husband whose wish it was to have a "L'Abri" home of our own someday, where our own children, any of their friends, and others could come and linger and just talk, ask questions, and study the Bible, Art, History, Literature and the difficult questions of life. He provided, and we are living that dream in forms and fashions of God's own design.

God's blessings on you, my friends and readers, who are planning a new homeschool year but at the same time are seeking to follow God's leading in your homes/schools as families who can bless others in the communities in which you live.

1 comment:

Mama Squirrel said...

The Apprentice read How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig this year as part of her school. I learned a lot from it as well.