16 August, 2008

Pear harvest time again! aka * Pear Jam 2008 *


pear harvest 2008 with updated photos of ~ ~

"Pear Jam 2008" ;-)

I've been making pear jam and "butter" today, and I love the way the scent of the pear juice fills the air. It doesn't take much; I haven't even begun cooking them on the stovetop, yet...just peeling them, and getting them all ready for the cookpot.

I wish you could smell them!

golden pear jam

pear butter with cinnamon






Want some? What are you harvesting or making this weekend?

Javamom


3 comments:

Lynn Bruce said...

so do you actually "can" these, or do you keep them in the freezer? i've made pear butter before, but since i am not sure if i've done everything necessary for it to keep, i always keep the jars in the freezer door.

yeah, i know. don't laugh. i scare myself sometimes.

Javamom said...

These heat seal really well, so they are "canned." There is no pressure cooking involved most of the time.

I have had a few over the years not seal with the recommended "turn them upside down while they cool" method. I ended up putting them in a slow simmering water bath for a time and that did the trick.

Now, this batch is turning out a little different (more like a jelly) than the batch I sent your way sometime last winter.

Still very good, though! Ky and I just sampled the first jar on toast today, while we sat under the big umbrella on the deck in the gentle rain. It added to the atmosphere of our morning :-).

Javamom said...

p.s. the batch is jam, but very "jellied" this time, instead of "saucy" like last year's. It still has a lot of fruit chunks and is a "low-sugar" recipe, but to me it is still very sweet.

I'm going to make a batch of "sugar-free" today (made with a bit of water or unsweetened 100% fruit juice) to see how they'll turn out. I hope the rain doesn't cause it not to set up. If it works well, I'll save some for you.